Sticky Baked BBQ Tempeh Strips
- 1 recipe of my Easy No-Cook Barbeque Sauce, or 1 cup store-bought BBQ sauce
- 8-oz package of tempeh (I use Lightlife brand)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons of tamari, liquid aminos, or soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- water for simmering
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, tin foil or silpat (or a layer of coconut oil).
- Open your package of tempeh and rinse well. Simmer a little water (enough to cover tempeh), 1 tablespoon of the tamari, onion powder, and garlic in a medium pot. Cook the tempeh in the simmering “broth” for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh with tongs and place in a shallow container. Add 1/4 cup of the simmering liquid plus the other tablespoon of tamari and allow to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. I usually prepare my other dishes at this time – chop veggies, cut up potatoes, etc.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinade and cut into 10-11 thick strips. Place the strips carefully on the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and brush both sides generously with barbecue sauce, using tongs to flip carefully. Return pan to oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Enjoy hot!
source : https://feedingyourbeauty.com/2016/05/25/sticky-baked-bbq-tempeh-strips-vegan-gluten-free-oil-free/